Several PAA leaders have been stepping up to the plate of public service lately, and we are SO proud!
PAA founding member Helen Gym has already taken office as councilwoman-at-large in Philadelphia.
Helen ran on a platform of support for well-funded, democratically-run public schools.
Can’t wait to see what she does!
Former PAA Board of Directors memberDawn Collins is running for school board in East Baton Rouge, Louisiana, with this platform:
- I support the expansion of sensible, research-based reforms that empower students, families and teachers.
- We must incentivize the placement of highly qualified, experienced educators – especially in our most challenging classrooms.
- All of our public schools should be diverse with well-rounded curriculum that challenge and engage our children while providing meaningful options to families – one-size-fits-all education does not work for our children.
- I support meaningful parental involvement, empowering parents as partners in education.
- We must adequately fund schools so they have the resources to succeed.
- Current PAA Board member Khem Irby is running for school board in Greensboro, North Carolina for a seat on the District 2 Guilford County School Board.