The Network for Public Education conference set for April 16 and 17th in Raleigh, NC, is looking great. The wonderful speaker line up includes Diane Ravitch, Chicago Teachers’ Union president Karen Lewis, Moral Monday founder the Rev. William Barber, Jesse Hagopian, Karran Harper-Royal and others. You can still register here.
PAA is presenting an important workshop on Saturday morning, 4/16, at 11:35 am, “Parent Voices on the Impact of Race and Poverty on Educational Opportunity: A Call to Action”. That session features PAA President Dora Taylor, moderator, with PAA Board member Nathan Harris from Indianapolis, PAA Board member Khem Irby from PAA-Greensboro (NC), and Sheila Warren, leader of PAA affiliate Portland Parents Union (OR).
PAAers will be speaking on other panels throughout the event. Also on Saturday:
- Leaders of PAA Boston affiliate QUEST, Mary Battenfeld and Kevin Murray, will present “Using Unified Enrollment to Promote Privatization at 8:30 am.
- Also at 8:30, leader of PAA affiliate Voices for Education in Tucson, AZ, Robin Hiller, will present Making Educational Justice a Priority with Progressive Groups.
- Another 11:35 am workshop, A Community-Based Approach to Reversing Resegregation, features PAA Board member Pamela Grundy, leader of PAA affiliate Mecklenburg ACTS (NC).
- And also at 11:35 am, PAA co-founder Leonie Haimson, of Class Size Matters in NY, will present Class Size vs. Computerized Learning.
- Dora is also speaking on the Education Bloggers panel at 2:35 pm.
- Leonie’s also heading a panel on The Fight for Student Data Privacy at 3:55 pm.
PAA Meet Up in Raleigh