The hearing on Betsy DeVos’s nomination to be the next U. S. Secretary of Education has been rescheduled for Tuesday, January 17, by the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee.
We call on you all to reach out THIS WEEKEND to your Senators who serve on this committee (list including phone # below). Please urge them to vote “NO” on the DeVos nomination.
WHY SAY NO? Betsy DeVos is one of the strongest pro-voucher proponents in the nation and spends vast amounts of her wealth supporting the extreme religious right and religious schools as a way of “advanc(ing) God’s kingdom,” as the New York Times recently quoted her.
Her agenda for public education would end it. For more detail on DeVos’s alarming track record in Michigan, please also read this article by the head of our Michigan affiliate, Michigan Parents for Schools, which has experienced years of frustration as the DeVos family has bullied the state into allowing a chaotic charter school system and persisted in their attempts to divert public education money to private religious schools.
HELP Committee Republican Members
- Lamar Alexander (TN) : 423-752-5337
- Michael B. Enzi (WY) : 307-696-7797
- Richard Burr (NC) : 828-350-2437
- Johnny Isakson (GA) : 770-661-0999
- Rand Paul (KY) : 270-782-8303
- Susan Collins (ME) : 207-622-8414
- Bill Cassidy, M.D. (LA) : 318-448-7176
- Todd Young (IN): 202-224-5623
- Orrin Hatch (UT) : 435-586-8435
- Pat Roberts (KS) : 620-227-2244
- Lisa Murkowski (AK) : 907-456-0233
- Tim Scott (SC) : 803-771-6112
Democrats by Rank
- Patty Murray (WA) : 425-259-6515
- Bernie Sanders (VT) : 802-862-0697
- Robert P. Casey, Jr (PA) : 215-405-9660
- Al Franken (MN) : 218-722-2390
- Michael F. Bennet (CO) : 303-455-7600
- Sheldon Whitehouse (RI) : 401-453-5294
- Tammy Baldwin (WI) : 715-832-8424
- Christopher S. Murphy (CT) : 864-233-5366
- Elizabeth Warren (MA): 617-565-3170
- Tim Kaine (VA): 434-792-0976
- Maggie Hassan (NH): 202-224-3324